Saturday, September 12, 2009

Blessed by the UYG


Over the last few days, I've really been reminded of how much I am blessed by the group of teens that I get to work with. We had a "Fun Night" last night where we played volleyball with water balloons. It doesn't matter what this group is doing, they are always having a great time together. During one of the breaks of playing, one of the girls came up and asked me how my week had been. She said that she realized the other day that all the teens try to do a good job of checking in on each other to see how they're doing each time they get together, but that they hardly ever asked me how I was doing. Its nice to be remembered.

Also this week, the teens turned in applications for our Servant Action Leadership Team. This will be the 5th year that we've had this team in place for the Youth Group. The teens that want to apply for this team are wanting to step up as leaders in the Youth Group, and they fill out these applications that have questions about where they see the Youth Group headed, and what they want to learn about leadership, and how they see themselves serving the Youth Group. Thursday I just sat and read these applications feeling so encouraged by what these teens see God doing in their group...by what these teens hear God calling them to do next...and reading their honest words about what they think their short-comings are, and how they hope to let God work in those weaknesses. It has been so great to see what God has done with this group over the past few years. The group of Seniors this year were only 7th graders when I first started working with this group. I am so excited to see what they are going to do this year, their last year in the Youth Group, and where the Youth Group will be this time next year. The only bad thing about these applications and this year's SALT group is that I received 3 or 4 more applications than I think I'll be able to take for the team. That is a good problem to have...but SUCH a hard problem. I'm praying that God will make it clear which of these teens will best serve the UYG by being on SALT this year.

Another thing that has me feeling so blessed by the UYG is the fact that since we announced we were pregnant back in February, the teens have been praying every Sunday and Wednesday (and I'm sure some other times, as well) for Shiloh and Addison. They have been very much a part of our pregnancy, being excited with us, feeling our worries with us, and even now, feeling our impatience and anxiousness for Addison to be with us, with us. When we had our baby shower a few weeks ago, several of the teens (even the guys) made it a point to come to the shower with their moms because they wanted to show Shiloh and I how excited they were. I can't wait for Addison to be here, and to grow up being around some of these teens and having them as examples for what young Christians should strive to be.

Thanks UYG, for the ways that you bless my life and make my job so enjoyable!



Get Real & Live It!

2 comments:

  1. It is obvious to me that the Spirit of Christ is working among our Teens here at University. And it is equally clear that God is using you as His instrument of Grace to our families here at University. I count it a great blessing to be your team-mate in ministry here.

    And - with all diaper jokes aside - being a Dad is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about how passionate you are not only about youth ministry but about this group of teens. They are great kids that I have seen grow so much and I think your relationship with them has been a big part of that.

    ReplyDelete